Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Sunday 5 June 2011

Bring Out The Best


Meeting up on the Dove for my first days official guiding I was a little nervous, why I don't know as Her Majesty (Dove) has always obliged me over the years, I suppose you learn how to get the best from your rivers,similar to a marraige experiencing beautiful moments to warts and all, from dispare to elation in just a few minutes. Anyway after going through set up and testing the gentlemens experience to date we quickly had him working on his approach to a swim, along with a little tree wrestling for flies. Soon enough my guest had a beautiful wild fish in his hands which was already an improvement on his last outing a year ago. Steadily he began picking a few off as he worked on improving his rivercraft afterall it was duffers so no better time of year to practice the art of dryfly and after some tips and pointers he became pretty efficient.




Those that know me will understand how I avoid dictating how things should be done and always relish and enjoy the company, avoiding blowing their minds with a set in stone, hollier than thou approach but today was different with my guest depending on my knowledge and experience.
The mayfly came strong through the afternoon with large columns dancing around the trees and while providing lunch and ringtons we were joined by another guest who plonked himself down on our Hellmans Mayo.


Back to the fishing and gradually we began hitting some fine fish not only bigger but blessed with stunning looks and butterbelly's to die for. Check out the browns below and you'll understand there was 2 happy chappies walking the dove yesterday.








The specimen below understandably took a while to land and watching someones dreams come true in front of you is always gonna be special. I actually prayed as he battled against what seemed like endless ferocious runs, please God let him land it as I talked him throught he fight.


Check the bend in the rod, playing this biggy from his jacksy, the proper way to fish on small streams. The spinners returned early today, obviously after receiving a tip off about the cool evening ahead, especially considering several warmer nights previous to today. Out again with someone next week so hopefully we can replicate an excellent day's fishing.


I like to think my goal was achieved yesterday and the wonderful thankyou email I opened before crawling to my pit confirmed a new angler had been born, a friendship had been made and a special day imprinted in our memories. I suppose in reality I had a assistance from the chap below who definitely helped by bringing out the best.

2 comments:

Dave Cross said...

Mick, congrats on a good first day guiding and I hope it goes well in the future.
Regards,
Dave.

Mick Martin said...

Booked up for the next few weekends so I'm sure I'll come down to earth with a bang soon enough.Its all about the picnic anyway Dave, who needs fishing.