Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Thursday 19 February 2009

Tackle Testing at Mayfield

Today I was to use my new rod and reel for the 1st time and I couldn't get to the Dove quick enough to put them both to the test, hopefully on a few large ladies. My new bamboo rod was hand built for my personal specification and special requests by Timmy at Harrisflyrods.com and its a 4# 7ft called Majestick as it was built for fishing on her Majesty (Dove).
I'm ecstatic about the appearance and wouldn't change a single choice I made, it's a real thing of beauty and I will happily recommend Timmy as an excellent rod maker to my fellow brothers of the wangle. My rod was instantly put to the test by being Christened by 2lb of wild brownie(most fitting) and this proved an adequate test for my Majestick who coped admirably.
I cannot describe how good this little rod felt while playing this trout but I instantly realised what many fishermen had tried to explain to me before, bamboo just feels so much better than other rods and I'm truly converted, especially while setting the hook, it seems a breeze every time, in fact I hardly missed a take all day. My usual rod today would have been 10ft but I had to try out my new bamboo and don't regret it one bit.




I started to find the grayling including a few specimens like these 2 above and below which were both very fit and dressed to kill.






I also tried my new Vivarelli automatic reel which also proved effective, in fact we got on like a house on fire, so 2 triumphs on the same day.




Later in the afternoon I found a shoal of good sized grayling lower downstream and quickly brought a few to my hand like this one below being returned safe and sound. On the whole a good day - a great reel - and a fantastic rod - nuff said.




No comments: