Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Wednesday 21 May 2008

Halfway around Derbyshire

Today I made a 45min drive to fish the Churnet and on arrival I opened my boot only to realise my waders bag wasn't there. I searched my car few times before admitting I was a pillock. After getting sidetracked while loading my tackle, I had placed my wader bag down and simply left them. Well after coming to terms with the blow I looked down at my Crocs (slippers) and quickly started thinking of a suitable venue for them, or where I could get away with fishing in them. I decided that Wolfscotedale (Dove) was my best option, and although it was a further 40mins drive, at least I had a easy path to fish from.





I finally arrived and began fishing reaching straight for my lucky fly at this venue - Ballon caddis. I quickly caught a couple of browns on the first section who were happily rising, and not the least bit shy. With a good start under my slippers I walked alongside the Dove until reaching the canal section. Many fish were rising but catching these swines proved difficult but whipping through my flybox, I eventually found a black f-fly which landed a couple more browns. I couldn't work out why they took, unless the black body resembled Hawthorns.






I walked downstream a little more before realising the rises were fading out, so I decided to tie on my balloon caddis, and began working through all the fast water as I slowly moved back upstream. This proved very succesful and I got my tally to 10 before reaching the brook at the top end again. The fish seemed to be rising in the meadow again, probably due to being a little warmer out in the open, away from the deep shaded valleys. I did manage a couple more before reaching the car and thought how well the day had gone, especially with such a kick in the balls to start with. I should mention apart from a few odd looks and a scooby doo on a cow pat, my Crocs were very comfy but I wouldn't recommend them for fishing, however always double check your tackle before pulling off.












No comments: