Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Friday 25 April 2008

Ecclesbourne

I decided to walk the whole venue today and then crawl my way back to the car. I made sure to keep well away from the waterside to ensure that I didn't spook any fish, making the return leg a blank before I even started fishing. The Ecclesbourne is a lovely little stream in appearance, however, on my last walk I only spotted one fish so I hoped things had improved along with the weather.
I reached the end with the stone bridge and like a ninja, I crept very slowly into the river keeping low and quiet. The atmosphere was electric, and the target was to fish stealthier than ever before, I used the 3 casts to 1 step method which soon had me trickling upstream. I decided to use my 9ft 4# Bloke as I'm not keen on small rods and breaking my 9ft Sage under the canopy was never going to be an option.


I noticed loads of Large Dark Olives (picture below) hatching and slowly watched them downstream until out of sight. After a while I must say I became a little disheartened, and remaining in the zone was proving difficult, especially with nothing rising to these LDO's when fish have gone mad for these at other venues lately. I tried pausing now and then, hiding behind trees, just hoping and praying to see something move but it just wasn't going to happen.



I kept on trying all the way upstream to below the wier - and still without so much as a sniff of anything. I had tried to match the olives with Kites Imperial, Grey Duster, Beacon Beige and F-Fly, but the river appeared fishless today and I couldn't tempt a donkey with a carrot. The highlight of the day was a close up of a Kingfisher, which didn't give me time to sort my camera - so no picture I'm afraid. I must admit to wondering what it's diet consists of, as the river seemed empty of fish. There is also a lot of silt build up, and no matter how gentle you place your feet, a red cloud spreads slowly upstream and down until its the size of Hiroshima.


I decided to take a rest and boil up some Ringtons tea, and noticed there was a lot of restoration going on, people had been working hard to bring this river alive, providing loads of habitat and hidy holes for the trout about to be stocked. I took this picture below which clearly shows the important things needed for a day flyfishing on the river. I made a few more casts as I made my way back to the car, then checked the returns in the check in box (sod all), needless to say I will not return, unless I hear good reports from other members who have caught (a) fish.


No comments: