Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Tuesday 22 April 2008

Mayfield

Arriving at 2pm at Ashbourne the sun was shining and spring was definitely in the air, and the river Dove was looking lovely as ever. There was a reasonable hatch of Large Dark Olives coming off, so I instantly set up with a Grey Duster and hoped for some dryfly action. Fish were rising to take the LDO's so I cast my fly, held my breath and wallop, I was in. After a little gymnastics demonstration, I had this little beauty below in one hand, while reaching for the camera with my other hand. Shellshocked by my instant success, I cast my Duster again only to be hit by a lovely Grayling - which I released in the water, due to being out of season at the moment.




I managed to tempt another fat little brown below with my Grey Duster, which had me committing suicide by wondering how many I could catch before home time. Needless to say the hatch withered away and so did the rises, I should know not to count my chickens, but it's difficult when things go right, and you catch a few in succession. After slogging it out with my hopes fading, I left the bottom section to have a look at the top section - which does hold loads of trout and can be good if they're rising. I spotted the odd rise here and there and they seemed to be taking sedges that had appeared. I did my best to match the hatch with the likes of F-fly, Deer hair sedge etc. Although I had a few takes on the upper section, it became frustrating, maybe I wasn't up to parr, but these little buggers were fast as lightening, although I did connect with a few, only to drop off instantly. I moved back downstream with little success and never got another touch as everything switched off. The result was I had 3 fish on dryfly with the sun on my back and a sweaty brow, which confirmed my first day of spring had finally come.




Below is a picture of the upper section above the wier which holds some real clunker browns.



No comments: