Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Monday 28 April 2008

Dovedale to Lovers Leap

After a rough night with one kid coughing every few seconds and one of the others throwing up, you could say I was a little worse for wear this morning. I answered the phone to be told work was off the agenda today so you guessed what popped into my mind instantly, fishing. Strangely enough I found a spring in my step and I was flying down the A52 making my way to Dovedale.
On arrival the car park was almost empty so a relatively quiet weekday was on the cards, a real bonus as sometimes Joe public can become a bit of a nuiscance always hanging around in your backcast. The Dove was in good condition with just a hint of colour in the deeper swims but running well. Knowing the river had been stocked recently, I had a good walk to Lovers Leap before starting to fish, just to avoid catching a million fresh stockies which had been put in near the carpark. There were a few LDO's coming off but no fish rising, so I decided it was going to be a nymph day. I soon made contact, and began catching a few browns in the faster swims using my River Criminals and Check Nymphs.






















After filling my boots for a few hours I wondered what the stocked fish were like, and how fast they would move upstream, so I walked back to try and locate them. Quickly as I neared the carpark I began catching the little fat buggers, one after the other and I must admit they were fine stocked fish, although there was a huge difference from the fish I'd caught upstream, in fact so much that I have put pictures of both below for you to make your own opinions.
As often is the case, a last minute fishing trip turns out to be a great one, and today was no exception. Although I voted to go wild on this stretch of the Dove this season, its still a fantastic venue to fish and I'm a lucky man to fish there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a day on Saturday - the stocked fish had to come from Dorset (crayfish issues).

I am sure we can get it wild in the next few years!