Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Thursday 1 May 2008

Hoon Hay (Hilton)

The rivers have had a proper good hiding this week so me and my brother visited a small stillwater called Hoon Hay. The fishing was difficult but pleasurable as the water was crystal clear, which surprised me to be honest, especially with all the rivers running chocolate. I don't fish this venue often but it feels like your in the middle of nowhere, which is always a good start.





There were LDO's about, and loads of Black Sedges/Alder fly shown below. The fish were not switched onto either, however there was a rise now and then, that encouraged me to try to match them. I tried my Intermediete line first, but soon changed to my floater as it brought me little success.







I caught this lovely conditioned brown which gave me the a fantastic fight on my light 4# rod. It just kept stripping my line away, time after time, giving as good a fight as I can remember. Thankfully my brother landed it for me, and later I returned the favour when he caught a lovely Rainbow.





Sadly there was no rise tonight for which Hoon Hay is well known for, but I came away fully satisfied with memories of that stunning brown trout.

No comments: