Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Monday 19 November 2007

Dove at Mayfield

After deciding to gamble on the weather clearing up I drove my way to Ashbourne. Arriving at Mayfield, the skies cleared the wind dropped and the sun shone through, creating a glorious sunny Autumn afternoon. After my ritual of hanging my nose over the bridge to spy the fish below I noticed the water was low, but full of anticipation I quickly made my way upstream to the wier. I looked downstream over the riffle towards the bridge and with this river who needs to catch fish to enjoy the day.

My brother chose trotting and I the flyrod and although I would be on a hiding to nothing I prefered the challenge. I managed a nice grayling on a pink bug but nymphing didn't bring much success but as things warmed up the fish quickly began rising. On close inspection I could clearly make out what the fish were taking, Large Dark Olives pictured below. These LDO's were being slurped down like hot chocolate on a cold night. There was also the odd needle fly being swallowed, pictured below.











I tried hard to match the hatch as the fish were hammering them down like there was no tomorrow. I found some joy with a Tups and a Greenwell Glory but only managed a couple more fish. As always with grayling fishing the frustration was immense but like a dog with a bone I whipped through most flies in my box. Trapped in concentration the afternoon flew by, I was in the zone and the next minute the light was fading and time to go. Needless to say my brother had many lovely fish like the one below.
I enjoyed losing todays battle to the Grayling and to my Brother ASBO (nickname) but I haven't lost the war, theres always next time.

No comments: