Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Monday 19 November 2007

01 Nov 2007

Willersley Castle

I arrived at lunchtime and was really pleased to see grayling topping from the gate, but with low water levels and autumn leaves everywhere, I knew this could prove a frustrating day. I slowly cast my way out into the river and was quickly into a fish, a lovely brown trout which I released into the water s.a.p and told myself "well its a start". I changed from a silver Klink to a Hares ear Klink and Bingo! I was into this nice grayling shown below. I managed a couple more grayling over the next couple of hours before deciding it was time for a "tea break".




I noticed another angler had made his way upstream from Cromford Waters for a rendezvous under the bridge. We both had a nice chat about our success on the day. It turned out he'd fished for that club on that stretch for 31years, a true veteran of the Derwent if I'd ever met one, and he was happily offering all he had learned in years gone by. Obviously I was all ears and quickly turned myself into a sponge for a while, I must say it was a thoroughly enjoyable meeting and a quick exchange of info before round 2 began. I couldn't resist a snap of him playing a grayling below the bridge in the faster water before we parted out of sight.


Well I managed a couple more on a grey duster before I finished the day with this itsy bitsy teeny weeny. Does size really matter, I'm not sure, but I would have swapped this tiddler for a 3lb grayling if I was forced to.


1 comment:

Kev said...

Nice blog Mick! I'll put a link to it from my own blog.

Is John (khkid) your brother, at http://derbyshireonthefly.blogspot.com/ ?

Kev (aka Arthur Wellesley)