Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Wednesday 18 April 2012

All Creatures Great And Small

The Wye was tip top today with a good level of water and a slight hint of colour but the fish were rising like a goodun taking olives galore, making hay while the sun shined brightly. At first the fished seemed a little picky but before long a new CDC pattern I've been playing with proved effective to say the least so I enjoyed a most excellent early season afternoon's angling. The trout below was a typical rainbow caught along with a few small brownies.



As usual after my dose of solitude I nipped into town for the last couple of hours and with the temperature dropping rapidly, the fishing proved solid with nothing doing anywhere. Taking a casual flick at the biguns in front of the round pillars I got a shock when a lunker snapped at my fly pulling my Old Majestick (bamboo)round with ease. I played the fish upstream a little before being forced to give ground to the point where the trout was snagged up around a concrete pillar. Suddenly while holding my long net in hand I heard the beautiful click of Regular Rods garden gate, hallelujah!



With the cavalry arriving the snag released and RR scooped the fish into my big net and kindly offered to take a picture for me aswell, bonus. RR's enthusiasm for a trouts safe return is infectious and very pleasing which probably adds a little to the fact why I'm catching the finest fish around.
Remember your long handled nets and large unhooking mats to ensure the safe catch and release of these wild beauties along the Wye.

No comments: