Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Wednesday 10 August 2011

Land of the Giants

Arrived at Bakewell around 5pm and with some tricky casting and bravado creeping through overgrowth and reeds along the bank to reach the waters edge, I got my rewards. I found a small pod of grayling freely rising and after whipping through a few likely flies the old Sturdys Fancy cleaned up producing 6 lovely grayling, if it ain't broke don't fix it.


There were plenty of sedge and the odd upwing floating about but switching to Larrys Pride proved effective yet again bringing a few specimens shown below. The Wye was fishing its head off from 7.30pm onwards providing a real purple patch of supreme trout fishing and I was lucky enough to be on my own in paradise, not another rod in sight. One thing i should mention is spotting a giant Kingfisher,far bigger than any I've seen before and I've fondly observed thousands all my life but for whatever reason that kingfisher was more dipper like and massive like the trout.


After scouring Metcheck Tuesday proved the most likely conditions to be succesful this week,luckily for me it was on the money, lets hope the wet weather predicted tops up the low river at the moment.


It was a brown night again where they all came out to play, funny how some evenings they refuse to engage and others they are very obliging. Switching to a large elk sedge worked well as the evening cooled and the light fell took a few more fish before deciding to pack up and have a good chin wag for a while with the only angler who can fish for the last 30 mins in the evening.



No comments: