Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Sunday 5 September 2010

Load of Pollocks

My gang have just enjoyed a fabulous holiday in Cornwall, with glorious weather throughout well the best of the 6 weeks on offer. Determined to try my hand at swiffin I packed my 8# rod and salty flies and here's how it went. After loading up the car I was bombing down the M42 probably dreaming of sea bass when after hearing a noise my wife shouted "what the hell was that" I checked my rear view mirror just in time to see my chest waders take flight like a giant green wind sock before slowly landing in the middle lane, they were then closely followed by my chest/back pack. My heart stopped as I realised my top box had blown open so I pulled into the hard shoulder quick sharp. Fearful of causing an accident and with little traffic about due to an early hours start I decided to attempt a rescue mission which I'm pleased to say was a success apart from my waders had been walloped by a huge juggernaut. Sad as I was, at least nobody was hurt and I'd had a lucky escape really




Waking at 6am it was time for a little session so I quietly sneaked out and immediately bumped into a scene from Enter the Dragon which to be honest provided me with some excellent entertainment watching loads of students in white suits running into the sea and after diving through a wave and running back to the top of the beach, proceeding to forward roll all the way back to the sea again, those suits looked very heavy with half a ton of sand clinging to them.

I walked on and around the rocks as after receiving a few holes in my beloved waders I needed all the help I could get to put a decent line out. Below shows my chosen location and with Bruce Lee still in the back drop all I needed was a fish. Fat chance of that and after a couple of hours I realised I was flogging a dead horse so back to the family, after beating up 100 Goduru experts up along the way.



I returned another morning for much of the same so decided to attempt an evening session next time out, before giving swiffin up as a bad idea, mind you the location was worth the walk alone.


At 7pm I made my way back to the rocks to fish til dark in hope of some success of a fish and eventually I felt a tug and son after caught this little Pollock below. It wasn't a ferocious fight and certainly didn't pull the rod out of my hand but I was tickled pink that I'd achieved my goal of catching my first sea fish on the fly. I managed another Pollock around the same size which my daughter gently threw back for me (not). It felt good walking back, especially after chatting with a couple of bait lads who'd caught nothing from the beach.


On my final night I decided to have one last bash and regrettably decided to tackle up before setting off. I put too much pressure on my rod while stretching for the the tip and snapped 10 inches of the end - Oh Pollocks! This swiffin was getting expensive with a pair of waders and a rod for starters, maybe God was trying to tel me something but being a stubborn git, I still attempted to fish with a snapped rod, but with a strong wind I quickly retired from swiffin, well for this holiday anyway. I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed my salt water experience and if you find yourself on a UK beach holiday don't hesitate to take your stuff but please pack it away carefully to avoid finding yourself in a game of Frogger first thing in the morning.

No comments: