Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Wednesday 4 June 2008

Beloved Dove

Due to recent heavy rain, Wolfscotedale was my 1st choice today, being the highest stretch of the Dove I fish, it usually runs clear quicker than anywhere else. On arrival I quickly realised I'd made the right decision with Mayfly in the air and fish rising. Starting on my Mayfly patterns I soon caught a few in the top section (pictured below) before moving down stream.




Walking along the river there were swarms of Mayfly above head and a good amount on the water, bobbing about doing there buisness. Many fish were taking the Drake, but some rising fish seemed preoccupied with something else which baffled me a little.


The brownie below was my favorite fish caught as I worked extremely hard making many casts at the rock face thats pictured below this picture. I could see the fish rising a couple of inches from the rock, and laying my line over the crosscurrents was near impossible, but eventually after trickling my fly down the rock humpteen times I got the most savage take resulting in a great fight bringing it back to my side of the Dove.
























Below is a picture of recently stocked fish wich gave a good account of itself if I'm honest, and although I'd prefer to keep things wild, these stockies give some less capable fishers a chance of action, especially as some rarely venture out until this time of year. Another thing I should mention is I landed 18 fish and only 2 resembled Daniel Lambert.

On the whole a great day with most fish taking Yellow Drakes along with the `Ballooon Caddis of course. My brother summed the day up nicely when he said " Its not quite Duffers Fortnight - but its getting close".

No comments: