Guiding Service

My guiding services are now available to assist fly fishermen on both game and coarse rivers. I'd be happy to advise and arrange your special day anywhere from one of Derbyshires finest trout and grayling rivers to your own local coarse river. Email Mick Martin for details and options. Please copy and paste into your own email info@rivererewashfoundation.co.uk











Monday 19 November 2007

11 Nov 2007

Ellastone

I Decided to visit Ellastone and fish the Dove today in search of some winter grayling after last weeks troutfest. On arrival I was amazed to see rods casting everywhere both sides of the bridge, I decided this wasn't going to put me off, so I set up, trundled over the wall and walked along the bank to shoulder in where I could. The water was a little cloudy after last nights rainfall, but I'm not gonna moan about that as our rivers are low at the moment. I'm pleased to say the grayling did make an appearance today, but not until I caught a couple of trout first - which began to worry me a little. There seemed to be a lot of fish rising for an olive hatch along one bank but they were mostly browns, so I switched methods to fish Check nymphs and weighted bugs bumbling along the river bed, this worked a treat and put me on the grayling trail while the browns stayed with the olives. I watched my brother use a trio with a stimulater as a sight indicator and 2 small weighted nymphs below. This proved effective for him and he never hit into the trout today, good lad.
Around 3 o'clock the river began colouring up and quickly started to rise becoming very cloudy, with a few silver sisters in the bag already, I called it a day and a successful one at that.
Anyday where a fish is landed can be considered a succesful days fishing, especially in a sport where blanks are often drawn.









No comments: